The Spiritual Association is for lay people who wish to unite their lives with the Missionaries of God's Love in a spirit of prayer and sacrifice both spiritual and practical. The Spiritual Association, which was formed in 1989, enables lay people to join together to become a vital storehouse of prayer and support for the Missionaries of God's Love.
The aims of the Association are:
- to share the way of life of the Missionaries in a manner appropriate to one's state in life;
- to intercede for the Missionaries by prayer, fasting and/or self-denial; and
- to help the work in practical ways as the opportunity arises.
Some will be drawn to offer financial support but this is not necessary for membership.
Some principles which are fundamental to the Missionaries of God's Love and also for the Spiritual Association are:
- to be centred on the Eucharist, daily Mass if possible, and an extended time of prayer each day before the Blessed Sacrament;
- prayer and fasting;
- growth in personal holiness, through ongoing repentance, self-denial and charity;
- evangelization by bringing the Good News of Jesus to the poor; and
- to have devotion to Our Lady, praying the Rosary daily and trusting in her mantle of protection.
In general, these practices are goals rather than binding requirements on Association members. A newsletter is sent to members of the Spiritual Association four times each year. Each newsletter commences with a brief exhortation by Fr Ken or one of the other Missionaries, tells members what the Missionaries are doing and ends with details of forthcoming events and prayer requests. Major events which members are encouraged to attend (e.g. Ordinations and the annual Celebration of Vows and Promises) are highlighted in each newsletter.
Sick & Suffering Associates of the Missionaries of God's Love
Some members of the Association are sick and suffering people who unite their sufferings with those of Jesus for the sake of a brother or sister in the Missionaries of God's Love. One of the most effective ways of intercession is through redemptive suffering.
They are not expected to fulfil all the goals of the Association. Their illness or suffering may prevent them from going to Mass daily or fasting. They are given a specific brother or sister to pray for.
Spiritual Association contact:
Carl and Cathy Madsen
MGL Spiritual Association
9 Clode Cr
Macgregor ACT 2615
Contact Fr Ken